The European Commission has recently announced dedicated Info-Days for the EU Missions to be held virtually between 18 and 19 January 2022.
The Commission has strongly invited researchers and innovators, as well as citizens and all interested stakeholders to take part.
EU Missions are sets of measures to achieve bold, inspirational and measurable goals within a set timeframe. This new concept of action has been developed for within the Horizon Europe research and innovation a work programme for 2021-2027. The € 95.5 billion budget programme itself aims to address some of the greatest challenges facing our society and the missions are a new way to bring those challenges to concrete solutions. Each mission consists of a portfolio of actions, from research projects and policy measures to even legislative initiatives, to achieve a measurable goal that could not be achieved through individual actions. The missions are compliant with key overarching EU priorities, such as the European Green Deal, a Europe fit for the Digital Age, the Beating Cancer action plan and the New European Bauhaus.
Throughout the summer of 2020, the EU Commission together with partners discussed with stakeholders as well as citizens to collect proposals from the public for five EU Missions through a series of events across EU countries. Moreover, citizens could also upload their ideas on a digital platform. Eventually, at the European Research & Innovation Days held last September 2020 reports summarizing these contributions were presented by specifically tasked Mission Boards:
- Adaptation to Climate Change: support at least 150 European regions and communities to become climate resilient by 2030
- Cancer: improving the lives of more than 3 million people by 2030 through prevention, cure and for those affected by cancer including their families, to live longer and better
- Restore our Ocean and Waters by 2030
- 100 Climate-Neutral and Smart Cities by 2030
- A Soil Deal for Europe: 100 living labs and lighthouses to lead the transition towards healthy soils by 2030
The Info-Days will present a wide range of new topics for all five missions. The event will provide prospective applicants with specific information on the new Missions’ Work Programme calls, funding opportunities and timelines.
Save the date!